Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Week From Hell

This past week was one of the worst I have had this year. I survived, but I'm exhausted. I am hoping that it was just a small blip in my life, forgotten in a few weeks. Here's a lovely bullet list recapping the highlights of my week.

    * Monday: 2000 word paper is due. I have the day off of work after the manager meeting. I see I have 10 hours to complete the paper and get it turned in. Most of my research is done and I even have about 500 words complete; I've been working on it since Thursday. Baby G has other ideas; ideas like "let's not take a nap today," "let's run around a scream at the top of our lungs; just for fun," "let's get into to everything that Mommy didn't notice I could get into." 10 hours later Baby G is in bed and I'm am wiped out. The paper is only at about 600 words is due now and I see no way of getting it done, even late, because I will have no more free time until Thursday for homework. I'm frustrated and tired and I cry.

    * Tuesday: I try to get some more of my paper done. Another sleepless night and no progress on my paper.

    * Wednesday: I'm tired, have only had 6 hours of sleep since Sunday. My day at work is going okay until during the last hour I get the customer from hell. She brought in food from another restaurant (just so you know - don't bring food from a restaurant to eat in a bookstore's cafe Health codes apply there just like anywhere else.) She was told she couldn't have it in our store. She leaves her sodas from the other restaurant next to the trash can opening on the condiment bar. She leaves the store. She comes back to the store and now wants a discount on our products because someone threw away her sodas. Geez I wonder why they did that?! I try to tell her as nicely as possible that "no" she can't have a discount for bringing in food from another place and leaving by the trash and leaving. "My employee was doing their job and keeping the cafe clean." She's pissed I said no and calls the company's customer service hotline on me and the employee who threw away her sodas. I am so angry at people like her who act entitled and I am tired. I can't let it go and ruminate over it for two days.

    * Thursday: Thursday is my one good day. I still haven't finished my paper, but at this point I'm thinking "screw it." I take the day for myself. Have fun with Baby G and get some cleaning done. I also manage to make a necklace.

    * Friday: Everything seems to be going okay until late that night when I get a call from Aaron. Aaron is working on a major project that has a good possibility of generating income in the future. He's on the last page; almost finished, when the computer dies. Dead. The computer is dead. Luckily we have two hard drives, the one the computer boots from does not have his project on it. Currently he's trying to extract his project from the other hard drive. After I got home that night, I did a little homework (on my laptop which is not dead, thank you) and decided it was time to go to bed. This is around 12:30 in the morning. Baby G decided that he didn't want to be asleep any longer. SO, no bed for me just yet, or even until 4 in the morning; I have to be at work at 9 am. I have to get up by 6 am in order to get everyone out the door on time. I got a whole two hours of sleep.

Because I was sleep deprived I spent the entire week stressing over my paper and that stupid customer. I couldn't let it go. Which just made the small things seem that much more horrible. Looking at it from this perspective, it doesn't seem so bad. Sleep will be had at some point, and hopefully Aaron will be able to extract his project off of the hard drive. Also hopefully, I won't have to deal with another uber-entitled customer until next December when they seem to ooze out from under their rocks.


Sharon said...


Sharon said...

Hope this last week was better for you x

Nancy said...

Thank you! This past week has been better. Just can't wait for the Holidays to be over. Hope you are doing well. :)