Saturday, December 15, 2007

A Special Gift

Last year, in the wee hours of the morning on December 17, 2006 I went into labor. It was the day after my birthday. I knew that he would be coming soon and I thought I had worked out with him to wait until at least the 18th so that his big sister could be there when he was born. But he had other plans. The night of my birthday the nesting instinct hit hard and I had to have the apartment spotless. I was exhausted, but could not stop cleaning until everything was perfect. I even shined the mirrors. Around 9pm that night I declared the apartment perfect and went to bed. I couldn't sleep and decided to play on the computer for awhile. Aaron was supposed to be leaving around 7am to pick up Sara. I wanted Sara to be with me when her little brother was born. I wanted her to be a part of the experience. Around 5am I started feeling little cramping pains. I felt like maybe I was going into labor. I started timing the pains and they were definitely coming at a set time apart, but they didn't hurt, they were just like a little nudge to tell me something was going on. I told myself I was imagining it because I was worried about going into labor while Aaron was gone. He was suppose to leave at 7am and he would have been gone for 8 hours. At 6am I got back into bed. I hadn't really had any sleep yet, but my mind was racing and I just couldn't sleep. For the tenth time I told myself I was just panicking because Aaron was going to be leaving soon. Just before 6:30am my water broke, the doctor was called and we were on our way to the hospital to bring our son into the world. At 3:39pm on December 17th Baby G was born.

Day 3 of no sleep

As a December baby myself I have always had to experience the "birthday/Christmas" gift all in one. Sometimes I was resentful because my sister's birthday is in August and she always got the separate gifts. I got over it as I got older and now it doesn't bother me so much.... All this to say that Baby G is the best Birthday/ Christmas gift I have ever received. He is such a happy baby. He has brought me so much joy, and I just can not believe how gosh darn lucky I am to have this beautiful, happy person in my life.

Happy Boy

His first birthday is on Monday. I'm so busy right now I wanted to get this up while I had some free time. Tomorrow night, on my birthday, we will be having a party for him. For now here is a special slide show I put together celebrating his first year with us.

4 comments:

Histrel said...

I bet you can't believe it's a year already. I know I look at my two (12 & 10) and cannot for the life of me see where all the years have gone. I know you are busy but always remember to treasure everything because they grow up before you know it :-) Have a happy birthday (both of you) xxx

Nancy said...

Thank you!
They do grow up way too fast. My oldest will be 19 soon. 19! Where have all the years gone?

Anonymous said...

A-w-w-w-w-w! A cute little baby. :) That was really a great "Gift" you & your hubby were given, Nancy! :) Suzy

lankapo said...

hi nancy,
congrate on your new baby boy,hopefully he will bring more joy to you Christmas celebration.

My daughter damia is 40 days now :)